Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's so soon


So I haven't packed.

And I'm leaving in 3 days.

There have been so many lasts recently - last day in Grace Baptist Church, last tuition sessions, last sleepovers, last lunch-with-daddy, last ballet lesson, last steam boat dinner with the family (which meant 5 bowls of Ama's delicious tang hoon, and two long hugs breathing in her damp, savoury smell - it is strange but Grandma always smells sweet and Ama always smells savoury).

The realisation really hit on Monday morning, when I woke up after a sleepover at Wei xin's house. As usual, my mind raced to plan my week, and suddenly, I felt as if someone had pulled a carpet away from under my feet, because my usual schedule was completely thrown aside for this week of lasts. I didn't have to plan a tuition session because I had already finished preparing for my final one on Monday, I didn't have fellowship on Wednesday because I am going instead for my last ballet lesson (with Mrs Cheong who has taught me for more than 10 years) This week was actually a week of doing everything I possibly can and want to with the people I love before I leave them for close to three whole years.

Today I started off with a big bowl of hazelnut-chocolate and mixed summer berry nice cream (I carefully hoarded enough bananas last week to make sure I'd have enough for nice cream breakfasts every day this week!) and I spent so long making it look gorgeous that I had to pop it back in the freezer after taking a photograph of it to firm up before I ate it because it had begun to melt!

I tried to do an exercise routine, but unfortunately my hip has been getting more and more painful, and yesterday I rashly pushed through the pain and did a whole work out, and so today twenty minutes into the hour long work out it started hurting so bad I decided to stop before I hurt myself! I want to walk onto the aeroplane at the end of the week, not be wheeled onto it!

My Mum had booked a massage appointment for herself, my sister and I (and may I add that I go for a massage on average once every 6.33 years) and so we all went to 'Healing touch' for an hour long full body massage. Their tagline was 'knead your cares away' - cheeky!

Because massages aren't something I do often, I was at a bit of a loss when the masseur led me to a room and then promptly walked out of it. I sat on the massage bed, for a little while, expecting her to return, but she was taking a while so I dithered about and drank some water and wondered what I was supposed to be doing - was this some sort of alone time for me to get into a zen state of mind?

She came back in, looked a little surprised, and explained that I was supposed to undress.

'Oh!'

She left again and I stripped down to my undies, put on a little covering they give you, and lay on my front on the massage bed. The massage was incredible. Although a test I took said my love language is quality time and words of affirmation, I think physical touch is magical, because I felt completely soothed. I could literally feel her almost twisting the knots in my shoulders and back away (which did hurt a little but felt wonderful afterwards)

After that, we took a taxi (because Mum had a session quite soon after and we needed to save on time) to the living cafe. Unfortunately, we got stuck in a bad jam, and had to listen to the very negative taxi driver rant about the inefficiency of the government. Well. I know one person now who didn't vote for the PAP in the last election.

Thankfully, we got the the living cafe not too late. We tried a tofu and sesame burger, and their salad. Neither was incredible, and therefore not worth the price in taste (though I am sure they surpassed it in nutrition), but the dessert (aka the blueberry cheesecake) made up for it.

It isn't so often that I get to have a day out with my Mum and sister, and I was so happy we were together. We're all very very different people - Hannah is very analytical and assertive, Mum is sensitive and others-centred, I am simple and averse-to-negative-taxi-drivers. But we all complement each other (how many times have I needed Hannah to help me be a little more directive)

Now the late afternoon sun is casting a golden glow every where and I am getting ready for my last ballet lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment