Tuesday, September 8, 2015

07/09/2015



Yesterday I walked all the way to the library to borrow three books. It was quite hot and I realise I really have no concept of seasons - I couldn't imagine Auntie Sarah in winter, much less myself. Is it really cold? Of course, but what is cold? How can it be cold all the time? How can the sunrise so late and set so early? The sun has always been a constant, but soon very many constants will shift.

On my run I saw and old woman running who looked very fit and I thought 'I want to be like that when I grow old!' One of my best memories with my Grandma is of the two of us, Auntie Sheila, and Tim, playing catch around a table in the lounge, and I hope that when I grow old I will be able to play with my children and grandchildren like that. I also distinctly remember my Mum always refusing to come and jump on the trampoline with me because of her weak knees. One day she came on, and I was so afraid of shattering her bones that I jumped as little and as lightly as possible, each jump giving me terrible visions of an earthquake tremor in her knee caps.

I also saw two shaggy black dogs.

Mum and I tried to make soy milk with her soy milk machine, and what ended up happening was that the minute we plugged the machine into the wall, we short circuited the house and all the lights went off and we were plunged into darkness and dissolved into laughter. This happened twice. It made me realise how strange lights are. Imagine a world without electric lights - it would be almost imperative to end activity when the sun set. So many conversations would happen in the comforting embrace of darkness. Would people speak to each other more? Would we be more cognizant of how each other's footfalls sounded like, as we heard fathers mothers sisters brothers pad through darkened hallways?

No comments:

Post a Comment