Tuesday, September 8, 2015


“I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stunned by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, “Hi.” They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth that one word.” - Augusten Burroughs

When I was running through the greenway on a Saturday morning, I passed an Indian man also running, his red shirt damp with sweat. Usually runners along that road ignore each other, or nod briefly (I always assume to acknowledge the shared breathless, leg aching feeling of running). The Indian man looked me straight in the eyes, smiled, and said 'Good morning'. I (very inadequately) smiled back.

After I doubled back, and started heading home, I passed the same man. He had slowed to a walk, and as I passed him, I smiled again, and said 'Keep going! You can do it!'

Another time when I was running a man in those cyclops-type reflector sunshades did the star trek 'live long and prosper' sign.

1 comment:

  1. Augusten Burroughs says the most magical things :') http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3058.Augusten_Burroughs << the first one is a personal favourite of mine! Blessed day ahead, Miriam *hugs*

    ReplyDelete