Thursday, September 17, 2015

17/09/2015


I woke up in a haze (both literally and figuratively - this weather is just ugh) still caught in the sticky web of sleep, and went to the kitchen for my overnight oats. I love how I can look forward to delicious breakfast every morning without having to cook when my still sleep heavy hands are liable to knock everything over and leave gas rings on...

I prepared for my tuition session while my workout loaded on youtube, and then I tried to get the Instagram widget to work on the bottom of this blog but the HTML coding is still defeating me... Trial and error, I tell myself, trial and error, trial and error, trial and gggrrrrrrrrr

The hazy grey-sy sky has meant that I'm avoiding running outside until the air clears, and I haven't been on my beautiful greenway track for a while (although I intend to at least once before I fly off - YOU CAN'T STOP ME SUMATRA) Thankfully there are a whole host of baffling work outs of youtube to try out. I finished a WHOLE WORKOUT today without stopping to mime death on my lounge floor, so I was pretty proud of myself.

I was having lunch with Bramina, who's flying off to York in 5 days! I haven't seen her since I went to the Ethos book launch (where she played a part in editing a local book!) and it's always nice to catch up with someone who has grown up with me. We're both very different people, she's had a lot more experience in this wide world than I have, she cares less about what people think of her, she is far more tough ad independent. I think she's completely ready to brave and English winter whereas I will probably be wrapped in blanket in my room weeping here and there and wishing I had friends and some sunshine. But we shall see.

We had lunch at a place called graintraders, near the raffles place MRT. It was delicious, albeit overcrowded.  I had a big bowl of quinoa, with 5 lentil falafel, grilled beets and carrots, marinated peppers and wafu tomato, some nuts and coconut curry (which was a little spicy for me so I used it sparingly).We had to stand around with our tray of food for about 5 or 10 minutes before we manages to snag a seat, but I would go back (although after the crazy office lunch hour!)

We left quickly so office people with actual schedules could have their lunch, and we walked along Cecil street and sat at a starbucks table that had someone's old cappuccino on it so it looked like we actually bought something and had a right to sit on a chair in the street so we could have conversation.

I managed to get my visa, very quickly which was such a blessing. As I headed out, the visa collection centre people asked if my visa had been approved and when I said yes they all smiled and said 'congratulations!' It made me think of the refugees who are still caught between states - it is so hard for them to gain entry to a country when they have no where else to go, whereas just because I scored a few letters in my A levels I score entry into a safe, beautiful country.

I had a lot of time before I was due to give tuition to Kendra and Hiu wai later that evening, so I did a spot of grocery shopping for the hazelnut and cinnamon cookies and blueberry muffins I'm making for the Gracehaven children on Saturday. I'm praying the cookies in particular turn out well, since it is  a new recipe and it's a vegan recipe! I also popped into Cold Storage, where they had dragon fruit on sale (how I will miss that strange, scaly fruit when I leave...) I also looked at the bananas for the half priced ones, but I couldn't see any. I spotted an old man labelling some fruit on the other side of the shelf, and went round to ask if there were any over-ripe bananas for sale?

'Over dry bananas?' he said, 'Wait ah you walk round first and come back I haven't label yet.'

I realised he was grading the fruit and vegetables then, deciding which were worthy of discount, and so I browsed the aisles before coming back. He was in the process of labelling the bananas and asked how many I'd like (3 bunches). I explained that I liked buying the old bananas because although they may be brown and spotty outside, inside they are sweet and delicious. He gave me a cheeky grin and said' Ah, so you know the secret! Next time find boyfriend must also remember that.'

No comments:

Post a Comment