Saturday, April 18, 2015

knock knock


Emily has given me the keys to her house. I think this basically means we're married.

Today was also rather amazing. I woke up and had 5 ORANGES for breakfast (felt slightly sick by the end of it but i was literally bursting with energy the rest of the day) and cooked a big batch of quinoa to last me at least 3 meals so packed lunches are SORTED for a while at least.

Then I headed to work and I was freaking out a bit because I was late for the first time in my life (by 10 minutes) but I met Jeremy coming out of the mrt station and felt not so bad because I wasn't the only late person. ('Met' is not really the right word since I kind of whacked him on the bicep with 'The mill on the floss' which is a rather huge book)

Work was INSANE today it was probably the most crowded I have seen the cafe which is of course great for the business but it meant that as queue manager today I had to use my brains quite a bit to try and fit people here and there like some kind of huge puzzle. Thankfully I had help from the rest of the shift.

Switt and Isaac also came to visit which was so nice, and they ordered waffles (which I am exceptionally proud of since that is basically all I eat in the cafe and I love them tons) I hadn't seen either of them for AGES and it was so nice to see Isaac's typical way of using cutlery and hear Switt's spontaneous laughter.

Also while Leonard was putting a hummingbird cake in a take away box, part of it broke off, ruining it's symmetry and so we got to EAT THAT ONE it was heavenly. A cinnamon spiced banana cake with pineapple chunks and cream cheese frosting - I usually don't even like pineapple but in this cake it was my best friend.

A new girl came to interview and  when I asked Leonard what she was interviewing for he said 'TO REPLACE YOU' and I mimicked a slow death on the coffee bar.

Charlotte let me pour a matcha late and iced latte today and I felt so excited because I was CREATING something (I think creating things is what makes me most happy - writing, baking, painting, cooking, pouring drinks...)

Ching was doing POS so her and I could talk which was great!!! She's such a humble but hard worker, every really appreciates her and not only for how she learns and gets the job done so amiably but also how she somehow, with a small tilt of the head or question , finds out about how you're doing and let's you know your life matters to her.

The chefs were kept so busy in the kitchen today because of the deluge of orders and whenever I wasn't busy herding (yes I was basically a sheepdog hahaha) people to newly vacated tables, I helped serve food and shared that 'sigh this is tough keep going dude' look with Andrew and the chef-with-the-chinese-name. I tried to smile as much as possible too so they would receive positive vibes but I don't know if they did or not.

Travis the chef told me that microwaving is the best way to cook vegetables- high heat for short periods of time or low heat for long periods of time. Interesting! I learn something new every time I'm at the cafe - about myself, my shift mates, customers in general, and sometimes about vegetables!

I got home (and I had keys this time!) and immediately started on  _____________ (A SECRET THING WHICH SHALL BE REVEALED TOMORROW) which of course was great because I love surprises and I love Emily.

Ballet was superb Emily and I were the only ones there and so we had lots of attention from Mrs Cheong who WORKED out inner thighs. I felt really out-of-practice: my jumps felt like I had leaden weights on my feet and I was pouring sweat by the time barre was over. Stretching was a good end off to the lesson, but even better was just talking and laughing with Emily outside as we waited for my Dad to arrive.

1 comment: