Saturday, April 11, 2015

11/04/15



Today I got on the train on the way to work and I was just beginning to scribble in my planner what has happened to me in the past week when I heard someone call my name and looked round to see Daniel Tung! What serendipity - he was on his way to school which was the next stop so we had a quick chat before he got off at Kent Ridge.

 Work was a complete whirl today. I was on the waffles machine, which started out slow, adn so I mostly helped out with the floor and washing bay. I was in the middle of washing a large stack of plates when Jia Hao appeared at the door and said 'Miriam could you come out for a moment' and I thought 'Oh dear what have I done' and followed him out

To see Toby and Auntie Yahsin at the front!

It was so nice of them to come especially since Toby has just emerged from the Bruneian jungles. I said hullo and then finished up the second half of the stack of dishes. The Wus are always so spontaneously supportive I've always thought (slightly morbid but.) that if anything should ever happen to make me an orphan, I would want to be adopted by them or the Wongs.

At around 12 the cafe started getting flooded with customers. It was the busiest I had ever seen it, and so many people ordered waffles and ice cream. I had at least 5 order for Pistachio - only the hardest flavour to scoop!!! Travis the pastry chef helped me to scoop the first one, showing me how to make little flakes that you compress into a ball of Pistachio and explained the high fat content of the nuts combined with the egg yolks in an ice cream make it harder for that flavour to scoop well. Thank God he also said they'll be swapping that flavour out soon for another. (Perhaps a berry sorbet like this absolutely gorgeous picture - OR ACAI oh my acai)

I scooped and scooped and scooped from 2 to 4 pm, and finally, arms tired and face flushed from the waffle machine heat, I sat down for my lunch with Glen, Yi En, Stephanie, Jia Hao and Presley (who didn't talk much but watched racing car videos on his phone)

Tuition with Kendra and Hiu Why/Wai was nice because as always they are proactive and curious about the text and improving themselves. And riding home from YACG in Chris' car with his strange music always makes me feel like an American teenager in an 80s movie. Which is a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment