Saturday, February 28, 2015

28/02/2015



Today was a pretty amazing day

I was a little more productive in writing my scholarship essays

I watched beauty and the geek season 3 episode 2 and have found a source for episode 3, 4, 5, 6....
I think perhaps I've just always found intelligence attractive (and every one loves a boy who reads)

I had my first tuition session with Kendra and she is such a lovely and proactive student - she asks so many questions, points out and accepts her weak points and really really tries. I have such a short time to work with her though and I really hope she can get something from my teaching.

On the way home, I stopped to buy some bread - sampling everything before finally deciding on vegetable bread and a dark rye loaf. Buying bread is always an antidote to anything and I felt so brimming with joy as I walked to the train, the plastic bag of flour and yeast and plain old goodness bumping against my leg like a happy reminder.

On the train I read a bit more of Tan Twan Eng's ''Garden of Evening Mists" and caught my breath at this particularly beautiful sentence:

'In the shallows, a grey heron cocked its head at me, one leg poised in the air, like the hand of a pianist who had forgotten the notes of his music.'

I loved the delicacy of it, this conceit that so perfectly conveyed the in-between nature of that moment.

On the way home, I talked to the bus driver Muthu properly - usually it's just a hello and sometimes I tell him where I am going or where I came from. I told him about how I was working in a cafe and tutoring, and how nervous I am about A level results on Monday,  and I asked him whether he had children. He has three children, all sons, and the oldest is 12 years old, and taking PSLE this year. I remarked that he must be feeling very stressed which he agreed to with much laughter. I asked him if he wanted a daughter, to which he replied, with more loud laughter "My wife..." I don't know if that was an impolite question to ask but he took it so good-naturedly.

And as I walked into the lobby I caught a waft of sweet perfume - the jasmine flowers are blooming.




No comments:

Post a Comment