Tuesday, February 10, 2015

John 13:34



Today over dinner I had an argument with Tim because of my choice to be vegetarian. As I sat down to my meat free meal, Tim looked over and said 'why are you even vegetarian?!'

I must admit, I felt an inward sigh/deflation, because I had already explained so many times it felt like a redundant question. In short, ethical, environmental and health reasons, and recently I have found resonance in my vegetarianism and my religion. (but that's for another post)

Before I could answer, Tim asked THE most heart breaking question (in my opinion)

'Just one vegetarian isn't going to do anything. You're just affecting the meat eating population by like 0.000000000000000000000000005%.'

I tried explaining the supply and demand model to him, demonstrating that my reduced meat consumption, along with the numerous other vegetarians and vegans worldwide (including the approximately 40%  of vegetarians in India) collectivey reduces demand and therefore ignites a response from suppliers.

As agirlnamedally puts it:

I’m not sure if you’re aware of the process of supply and demand, but it’s a pretty key one in this argument. Animal agribusiness does not exist on its own, it exists because consumers continue to pay for it. In purchasing meat/eggs/dairy/fur etc, you are directly supporting that industry not only morally, but financially. We vote with our dollar, so it either goes in favour of a product or against. Every time you buy a dead animal - be it to eat or to wear - you are letting the world know that you accept and actively support the practice. You are directly paying someone to kill that cow/baby chick/piglet/lamb/etc and helping them continue to do so. I know this may sound like confronting stuff, because we have developed a strong cognitive dissonance to protect our consciences, but it’s important we know and take a stand for what we believe.

The demand (i.e. how many people want to purchase the product) directly influences the supply (i.e. how much of that product is made). On a smaller scale - look at your home life. Were you to stop eating animal products, your family would subsequently buy less. If you went to your auntie’s house, she might prepare one less meat dish. Similarly, visiting vegetarian and vegan eateries financially supports their organisations and allows them to further their ethical business. On a larger scale, look at your weekly shopping. Say your local grocer orders a certain amount of eggs each week. If you and a few other people decide you no longer want to support/purchase them, their demand decreases. There will come a point where the buying and re-selling of those eggs is no longer profitable as they are left with a surplus of unsold eggs, so they will order less in the future. There is then less demand to produce a certain amount (even if only on a small scale), and it works all the way back up to the factory farms and slaughterhouses. 

I like this perspective too. “Suppose a particular vegan/vegetarian in no way affects supply, sets an example, or educates others. They are still doing the right thing. Imagine a scenario involving humans: Several thousand people across the world regularly pay to see live internet video of women being raped and tortured. Dave receives an email inviting him to view these events, but he chooses not to participate. You probably agree with me that Dave’s decision is morally obligatory — even though the women will still be exploited and none of the viewers will notice his absence”.

Anyway, i tried (less eloquently) to explain this to Tim. But he insisted that the decrease in demand would lead to a proportional increase in supply per pax (refusing to look at the long term response of suppliers) and continuing to argue against me, to the point where both of us gave up, him by leaving the table and me by saying "I just think you're being really rude." in exasperation.

THE POINT OF THE MATTER IS

I just wish I could be supported by those around me for this decision in my life. Encouraged and not condemned. In most things, people support you: friends come to performances/competitions/workplaces, parents kiss you and give you proud side-hugs for just about everything. Why is it so different just because suddenly I've given up eating dead animals? I haven't forced anyone to join in with me in this pursuit. I don't even make a fuss when we go to a mainly meat-centric eatery, I just quietly order my soup or salad or slip away to find a nearby alternative.

A few weeks ago, my mum told me a church friend asked her "What do you feel about your daughter turning vegetarian?"

She replied, "I am so proud of her, I support her fully, and if I didn't have to prepare meat for the two men of the house I would join her too."

And I teared up and gave her a big hug because having someone say that, stand up for me when I'm not around to explain and re-explain and explain again, and who so lovingly cooks for me and tells me I'm not a burden and I'm not useless is so precious.

"When Alexander carried her and put her on the sofa in front of the fire, she said, 'It's kindness, isn't it? Simple kindness.' "

Just a bit more of that, I think, will make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment