Monday, January 19, 2015

More from the galaxy


My mother's poetry book 'A galaxy of poems new and old' is probably my favourite book at the moment.

It has my favourites like Wordsworth and Donne, and surprising other beauties.

I'm trying to remember 'A Hymn to God the Father' by the end of the week (in addition to daffodils, but that has a lilt and such vivid imagery that it's considerably easier)

A Hymn to God the Father

Wilt thou forgive that sin where I begun,
         Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt thou forgive that sin, through which I run,
         And do run still, though still I do deplore?
                When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
                        For I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sin which I have won
         Others to sin, and made my sin their door?
Wilt thou forgive that sin which I did shun
         A year or two, but wallow'd in, a score?
                When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
                        For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
         My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by thyself, that at my death thy Son
         Shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore;
                And, having done that, thou hast done;
                        I fear no more. 

Oh John Donne


No comments:

Post a Comment