Thursday, January 15, 2015

Like I can


Why are you looking down all the wrong roads?
When mine is the heart and the salt of the soul
There may be lovers who hold out their hands
But they'll never love you like I can, can, can

-Sam Smith, Like I can 

I think almost all of our life is spent looking for love - self love, love from our parents, tutors, professors, friends, love from our apparent lovers, past present and future. But most doesn't satisfy completely, inexhaustibly. everlastingly. Except we have a Saviour who loves us completely and utterly and unselfishly and forever.

Ollie talked about the story of Hosea and Gomer once. (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hosea%201-3) I often feel like Gomer . I feel stained by sin, looking for cheap replacements for God's love, which leave me more broken than before until I return to God's embrace and becomes healed, whole.

Long ago the LORD said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.

Jeremiah 31:3 

Yesterday I wrote down on a scrap of paper 'I am you are we' - this is what I feel love should BE like, someone who is so completely myself and who I am so completely and who without I wouldn't be me. And of course I haven't yet experienced that, but I know that when I see Jesus in heaven I will realise with groundbreaking clarity that finally He is Me is We.

No comments:

Post a Comment