Monday, July 11, 2016

The Great Europe Gallivanting Adventure: An Introduction


We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us

That was written on a billboard in Heathrow, as Nat and I took a final 13 hour flight from London to Singapore. That flight came after 27 days of travelling, through 18 cities, temperatures from 0 degrees to 34 degrees, and meeting people from a radio DJ to my own Grandma.

Those 27 days were written down religiously in 2 notebooks, 5 loose sheets of paper using 6 pens and 1 pencil. I wrote not to forget, for the life I lived these past 27 days, not to escape my memory.

I wrote in trains and buses and planes, on pavements and in so many hostels, and occasionally the writing was put aside to talk to a charming stranger or two, but it was completed:

Today
In Singapore
On a bench near a taxi stand
Moments before I was hugged by Wei Xin who I haven't seen in 7 months

And now, slowly, these bits of paper and ink are being transcribed onto here.

Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment