Monday, July 25, 2016

One lady and many bananas



I go to Cold Storage for three reasons only:

1) To get dragon fruits on sale

2) To get Adam's Peanut Butter

3) To get bananas that are selling for half-price because they are brown and spotty

In other words, when they are perfect for nice cream.

Today after dinner with Toby, Chris, Rachelle, James and Christy, I dropped by the Cold Storage at Holland Village to see if they had any bananas for sale. There was an old Auntie busying herself over the bananas, and I asked,

'Auntie, are there any old bananas on sale?'

It was like someone had switched a light on inside of her. She turned around, smiling, and said, 'You want old bananas? Auntie get for you! How many you want?'

'Quite a few,' I said, thinking of all the nice cream I could make.

She bustled over to the baskets, got a big green one, thrust it into my arms and begun piling bunch after bunch of bananas into it.

'Auntie... I think that's enough'

She was so excited that she didn't stop, and only after I said once more (after a few more bunches made their way into my basket) that it was enough, then she took the basket from me, and walked merrily away to put the half-price stickers on the bananas.

There were 10 bunches of bananas. They were so heavy they broke the strap on my tote bag.

Nice cream for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment