Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Different?


There is a new bed stand in my parent's room, which is ever so slightly bigger than their last one, and I walked into it, stubbing my toe and collapsing onto the bed with a simultaneous stab of pain and realisation that things are different now.

It is odd, because my presiding feeling since coming back has been that I feel like I never left. I can remember the distance from my bed to the bathroom with my eyes still blearily half closed, and the routines of filling up the ice cube tray and laying the table, things I haven't done in 9 months, come easily, not rusty.

I even remember which buttons to reach for on the top of the fan without looking for them.

And yet:

-Church is in a different building
-My running route is closed for water pipe works
-And I can't run for more than 30 minutes without feeling like a human furnace
-There is a new oven
-My desk has been taken over by Tim
-The sun rises and sets at 7 ish
-I find myself checking the weather forecast
-People keep saying my face is rounder

And above all, I find myself missing travelling and missing Cambridge. To take my clothes out of my suitcase and realise I once again can live out of a cupboard with compartments for different sorts of underwear an more than 2 hangers has been an adjustment. To realise that to skype Alex I have to account for a 7 hour time difference has been another.

I also realise how many clothes I have. Why do I have so many clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment