Saturday, November 5, 2016

Neverland



The idea for this party was born after the first essay panic was over, an Alex and I decided to go for a cold walk into town in the 9.30pm dark. It was also born out of me telling Alex that I don't feel like I do enough spontaneous things, and so I couldn't refuse this spontaneous idea.

'Let's hold a halloween party!'

We decided have games that you'd have as a child - things like apple bobbing, art and craft, and the doughnut-on-string game, which always brings back that feeling of sticky grains of sugar creeping up the sides of your face, and the impossibility of using your tongue to lick it all off. Although of course you still try.

We decorated the coach house and it looked like fairyland - blue cloth hung across the ceiling, pink and white lanterns hung like strange planets, and in between them Alex hung party ring biscuits too. We found an old placard which was used in the 'Reclaim the Night' march - it said 'The Right to Live Without Fear' which we thought was rather apt for Halloween!

I'd found (vegan!) custard and jam filled donuts, which we tried to fix onto strings. The mechanics of that process was rather difficult since we had nothing but carrot sticks to pierce the donuts with, but we managed to do a few, and had a couple of donut-eating competitions!

Apple bobbing proved even harder - those apples were mostly ones I'd got from outside a man's house in Girton, and they were really smooth and hard to pick up with your teeth! I'd cycled there directly after lectures, crashed into a fence en route (but I only have a couple of minor scratched and a little cut on my finger), picked them up and cycled back, singing 'Misty' at the top of my lungs since I thought I was alone on my bike on the road.

Then I turned round to check for oncoming cars and realised there was some one cycling right behind me. 

'Look at me, 
I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree;
And I feel like I'm clingin' to a cloud,
I can' t understand
I get misty, just holding your hand.'

Alex had a made a playlist for the party, mostly 2005 era music, and I danced a little although I still don't really think the 'dancing' one does at party is really dancing. After dancing I went back up to the art space, opening the door to find a girl tattooing Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' on the butt cheeks of two guys. Perhaps they were the lost boys. While all that was going on I still managed to paint a couple of pictures, using lots of yellow paint because I need some sunshine to tide me over these cloudy days.

I'm still finding glitter in my hair - little remnants of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment