Thursday, November 10, 2016

9/11/2016


I woke up this morning and thought ' Oh my God, America might have a new president by now'. I looked up the guardian app, and my heart sunk - Trump was leading 244 votes to Clinton's 215. I lay in bed, knowing I had an essay due but also feeling as if refreshing the guardian page every few minutes might somehow help Clinton's numbers to go up and Trump's to go down.

Halfway through breakfast I checked again. 'Donald Trump declared president after stunning victory defies polls'.

Stunning as in hit on the head with a large and pointed rock. Not stunning as in the adjective used to describe the glory of a huge waterfall, unless of course the implication is that likewise, America is hurtling, shooting, crashing downwards.

It was raining outside and I couldn't help but think pathetic fallacy.

But those were my immediate reactions. I spent the rest of the day in a daze - essay writing, lecture, blood test, Just Lunch, essay, mindless songs, essay, thinking about heretic burning/tyranny in the 15th century and now.

As I lay in bed after handing in my latest essay yet (but also the one I am most proud of) I thought to God, 'I'm falling asleep to a very different world than I woke up to, and tomorrow I will awake to yet a different world.' 

Then I realised, that every day I fall asleep to one world and wake up to another. Countless things change in the night, and yet in my sleep state I still trust the sun will rise in the morning. 

Hilary Clinton said, “The worst thing that can happen in a democracy — as well as in an individual’s life, is to become cynical about the future and lose hope.”

I will trust in the Lord of today and tonight and tomorrow morning.

'When You don’t move the mountains I’m needing You to move
When You don’t part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don’t give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust in You!

Truth is, You know what tomorrow brings
There’s not a day ahead You have not seen
So, in all things be my life and breath
I want what You want Lord and nothing less

You are my strength and comfort
You are my steady hand
You are my firm foundation; the rock on which I stand
Your ways are always higher
Your plans are always good
There’s not a place where I’ll go, You’ve not already stood'

No comments:

Post a Comment