Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Spirit of the Beehive


At the start of term I planned to watch a movie after every essay. That didn't happen, but one Thursday Semine was screening 'The Spirit of the Beehive' in the VSR, and I decided to go along.

It is visually pleasing - soft, earth tones and beautifully framed shots particularly when it comes to emphasising the innocence of Ana, the film's child-protagonist, in the film's post- Spanish Civil War setting.

The film has definite political undertones, given the time of its creation and the time it is set in, but also it is largely about the imaginative, incomprehensible world of a child's mind.

I don't want to write in detail about this movie and how it made me feel, because to do so would some how spoil its magic. It was in lots of ways a return to childhood and as a child I never wrote treatises on the movies I watched.

Suffice to say, you should watch it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment