Monday, November 7, 2016

4 apps I adore



1. Run, by fitness22 - since starting half marathon training, I've started wanting to know my distance, time and pace. This app wasn't very reliable initially (on the same route once it said it was 8km, another time it said 12km!) but has since stabilised and become so useful in knowing what a comfortable pace is for me (and how I can push it on days I feel up for a challenge!), and how far I've run each route and each week. There's a very american voice that pipes in every time I run another kilometre 'thrrree kil-o-mi-ters' but I just turn the sound off so I don't hear her!

2. Charity Miles - I turn this on as well as the fitness22 app when I run. For every mile run, charity miles donates an amount (via various sponsors) to a charity which you can choose before your run. And it doesn't only work for running - walking/cycling also counts! It's such an easy way for perform a small act of kindness!

3. Forest - this app plants a tree when you don't touch your phone, and you can set a timer for how long the tree takes to grow. It's so useful for when I do my essay readings, and I hear my phone buzz and am tempted to look at it but then I remember I'm growing a little tree and I should let it be.

4. The Guardian app - It's easy to lose track of what's happening in the world when you have 3 essays due in a week, but a 2 second scan of a headline that pops up is so useful to remind you that the American election is happening, or that there was another earthquake in Italy, or that brexit cannot happen without a parliament vote, so that if they come up in conversations (which in Cambridge, they often do) you aren't entirely clueless. Sometimes there are also long reads that I enjoy, like the coverage on the Nauru files, a piece about living well in the age of plenty (such a good one!) or an in depth piece on the catastrophe of the Great Barrier Reef.

No comments:

Post a Comment