Saturday, November 12, 2016

Seeing Grandma again


Whenever I see Grandma, the night inevitably ends with Auntie Sarah and I giving her a foot rub to warm up her cold feet. I went to see Grandma last week, when the temperature plummeted unexpectedly and so I spent the first half hour in Bury trailing the charity shops for a warm coat. (today I found a pair of warm, waterproof boots in Oxfam so no more ice block toes!)

After a trip back to Ixworth to pick up a couple of books and warm clothes, I headed back to Pinford End. Auntie Sarah and I stepped out to a sky covered in silver stars, and then headed into Grandma's warm room.

She had a fall recently, and winced when Auntie Sarah put the cold cream to sooth her back- although there was no visible bruising I could tell it hurt her, and the papery skin on her back seemed so fragile.

We talked about her favourite birthday: 'I think 1937, that was pre-war, so there was food in the shops. In the war years we had ration books, so it was very hard to provide a birthday tea in those years [...] That was when I was seven [...] Mummy would have gone shopping and put things aside for when it was someone's birthday. Daddy said, 'Your mother's a good manager.''

No comments:

Post a Comment