Thursday, March 19, 2015

Selfish


I've been feeling pretty selfish lately. I think that so many of the things I do in my life are for myself -  the monotony of scholarship/uni applications is so self-driven and it isn't even a happy selfish pursuit like making oats for breakfast or a healthy cake. This Saturday I'm going to MINDSville with the YACG and I am thrilled because finally I'll be doing something useful for other people and not for my own gain.

That's also why I love working at on the table, because being a waitress with minimal pay gives me a satisfaction in serving that I can't get elsewhere and helps me be a little more obscure.

I really really hope to go to the Roslin Orphanage trip in April to care for the children there, but my Dad is quite reluctant to let me go, afraid that it will jeopardise my scholarship opportunities if I miss an interview. But interviews are flexible - they call you up and ask for your free days.

Praying that I'll be able to explain things and convince my Dad to let me go.

Oh also, my new human project is to talk to strangers on the train whenever I get a seat. I think I was motivated by my Yale NUS essay where I wrote that I wish Singaporeans could be more friendly and open with story sharing (like a pedestrian Humans of New York scenario) and I realised that probably the only 'stranger' I talk to is Muthu the bus driver.

So now I'll be trying to screw my courage to the sticking place and say hello to strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment