Thursday, March 19, 2015

18/03/15


Yesterday was a really good day. I realise that I classify most days where I actually exit the house as good days probably because it doesn't happen so often and it really should

I saw the most beautiful brown headed kingfisher as I walked to the bus stop. The bus stop seems to be prime kingfisher-spotting area for some strange reason. Because (as usual) I had been in a flurry to get out of the house, sunblock was applied en route much to the amusement of a few older aunties sitting in the bus.



I met Vanessa and Becky (who I haven't seen in ages!!!) in school. We were supposed to gym but we sort of just walked to the gym and talked to jiao lian first. Jiao Lian was so happy for my A level results (gong xi gong xi) and proudly said the smartest people come from track and field.

Then she also admitted, with a sheepish grin, that the people who do really badly also come from track and field.

We played frisbee for a while in the hot hot sun after that (my catches are heaps better than my throws) And then went back to the gym to actually exercise. We did lots of ab exercises but I actually didn't feel anything in my core although my legs and back started aching after a while. Becky and I faced our ultimate enemy the arms machine one last time and managed to do 10 reps and I think that's pretty awesome.



On the way out Becky and I both said "Bye uncle" to a new security guard before Van told us that the guard was actually a WOMAN!!!

I walked to Ghim Moh after that to pick up some groceries for our under-stocked vegetable drawer. A big plastic basket rainbow-full of brinjal, red and green peppers, carrot, spinach, watercress, cauliflower and mushrooms made me REALLY happy. I picked up some bananas and broccoli as well from two other shops, and bought four pieces of chee kueh for a treat.

As I was picking out the vegetables, I saw a mother pointing out the tattoos on the arms of a friendly old uncle to her daughter, asking her if the Uncle was a huai ren (bad person) and saying that the uncle was very kind and just because he had tattoos didn't mean he was bad. The uncle also chipped in, saying he and his friends were always  friendly and they all had tattoos. The little girl didn't say a word, just stood there and stared at the blue-black ink on his arms.

I had a long way to walk back home, through ghim moh and biopolis and portsdown with my big bags of shopping. Thankfully it was a beautifully sunny day and so walking was quite enjoyable. When i reached the top of an escalator in metropolis, one of the people who usually stand there to promote the fitness first gym on the second floor asked if I needed help with the bags. I politely declined (because i was carrying them all the way home and I wouldn't want a stranger following me all the way there. Plus it would be a tiring 20 minutes walking for him and he had a job to do.) but my heart was warmed by his kind words and it was nothing to do with the sunshine.

Walking back was a picturesque journey - I saw a fallen flower that looked like a purple sea urchin, there were lots of fallen leaves everywhere to crunch through (though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie), and the golden showers tree near my house was in full bloom. The sun was so bright that every colour was even more saturated and I couldn't help but feel that this world is the most beautiful thing there is, and the only more beautiful thing could be this world before it fell, when God walked through it talking to Adam.

I made stir fry brinjal and quinoa with peanuts and cucumber for lunch (adding nuts to ANYTHING makes it super yummy) and then worked on my Yale NUS essay before going for fellowship.

Fellowship was great. We started a new series on the books of Luke and Acts, of the season of Lent. My Lenten fast was supposed to be from my handphone - turning it off once the clock hit 9pm, but I have been pretty bad at keeping it. The study we did was on Jesus' first predication of his death, and how he also commands us to lose our lives to gain true life. It was nice knowing that the One who died calls us to die so that we will never really die because He never really died either. He never calls us anywhere where he hasn't been, and doesn't go anywhere we cannot follow.

I noticed that Uncle Anthony has herbs growing all along the balcony of his house - I spotted fennel but I couldn't name the others.

I also realised that when you die to yourself you actually probably become a LOT happier. For example, losing the opportunity to apply for the SPH scholarship (more on that soon) would have probably made me really unhappy but the constant reminders that this life is not my own, it is planned and perfected by God, gave me a peace that I know isn't from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment