Friday, November 9, 2012

of rags and riches


 
these 2 pictures have been comfortably sitting in my computer file titled 'for blog' for ages
but only recently have i had the compulsion to talk about this topic and drag them out
the topic being poverty and ostensity (my own type phrasing of ostentatious-ity)'
anyway, first i consider myself.
interms of money and finances
i don't think i'm rich
i take the bus home, i do chores, i cook meals, i have a $50 budget on my prom dress, i have to consider the price and calculate how many weeks of savings it amounts to before buying things...
But then i don't think i'm poor either
my dad drops me off to school on the way to work, my family owns a car, i go to a school that has school fees that aren't cheap, i have a cleaner that comes on mondays, i can afford to go to prom, i have more than 1 dress, 1 pair of pants, 1 skirt, 1 shirt, 1 pair of shorts etc, i have a computer, i have recently aquired a smartphone, being the fourth person out of my family of 5 to do so, both my parents have jobs...
so when discussing issues on financial background with my friends i firmly park myself in the generic margin called average.
but recently i've found myself marvelling at the riches of some of my friends.
i don't begrudge their good fortune, i think it's a great blessing. but i do have my opinions on it.
some friends get dropped off and picked up from school, they shop freely with their parents money, they own branded bags and clothes that cost more than $100, they have big houses...
perhaps it's jealously on my part. i don;t know.
when i was younger and we got chinese new year money, my parents would make me divide it equally in to 4 parts. one part to save, on part to spend, on part to give to charity and one more part that i don;t know what they did with it.
 
nowadays i don't knowwhat to think about money. is it right that some people have more? or is it just another of life's inequalities like deformities and metal retardation? is it wrong for someone to have more? even when they worked super hard for it and some poor people are lazy? why is it that some people are lazy and rich and some are lazy and poor? and some are hardworking and rich and some are hardworking and poor?
why

No comments:

Post a Comment