Monday, January 11, 2016

Loving strangers


Twice this week when I was with my cousin Renny, I told him 'She's so beautiful!', referring to strangers: a waitress, and a picture of Queen Pema of Bhutan. Both times he gave me a weird look, but I think it is a pity that we don't appreciate and celebrate the beauty of people in general, not just people we feel safe enough to compliment.

As I was running today, I felt like I was falling in love with every single person I ran past. They were all made so specially, and they had all come out to enjoy the sunshine, like desert flowers opening after rain.

(Also not completely unrelated happenstance today: In church, I almost burst out laughing during the song of response, because a mother walked past me, carrying her baby, and her baby had the most 'shocked' face I'd seen on a baby, eyebrows up and slightly drawn together, eyes huge and round, and it just looked like that the whole time she carried him, as if he could not understand why so many people would join together to worship the God who made weird and wonderful humans)

No comments:

Post a Comment