Tuesday, January 5, 2016

An early christmas present


Having my breath knocked completely out of my body by weixin-in-winter-wonderland (I sang that to the tune of 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland' as I typed it) felt more wonderful than anything - finally finally a short break in this long distance relationship!!

We trailed the Winter Wonderland Christmas Market in Hyde Park, the Christmas Market along Southbank, and then we went back to Borough market, where I bought the most delicious noodles I've had so far in England (although if I had to say the best noodles I've had in the world I'd probably say something along a street in Burma or Laos or Vietnam) 

Weixin had just come back from a medical service trip in Cambodia with her university, and despite not enjoying it as much as she had hoped, she said something that really inspired me, that went along the lines of: Just because you don't find something fun, or you don't see yourself being joyful in it, that does not mean God is not calling you to serve there.

I often adopt quite a utilitarian perspective towards service. You serve because it brings you joy to serve and because it brings joy or aid or comfort to those you serve, and these two combined bring glory to God. Everyone is happy, and right, and ideal. After all, with so many varied personalities and perspectives there must be one person adept at and agreeable towards one job on every scale.
But of course I forgot the fallibility of human faithfulness. God does indeed call us to be joyful in our service, but fundamentally, He calls us to serve: 

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace (1 Peter 4:10)

With the sin that lives in us, the selfishness, fatigue, frustration, pride which often overcomes pure intentions of service, it is no surprise that we find it difficult to serve with complete love and goodwill. But the very ability to continue serving, to wrestle with our own whims and desires, shows an obedience to God and also His power working through us to help us live with perspective and priority which is greater than ourselves. 

“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done.
We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.” 
― Mother Teresa

Therefore to strive to serve is an act of worship to God, which calls out for help because of our own weakness, and our desire to do his will. And if as we persevere, we find joy in service, it is a gift from God, who takes away the scales of sin from our eyes and lets us see the beauty of love and grace which exists when one person helps another.

No comments:

Post a Comment