Wednesday, August 12, 2015

New running strategy


Recently (recently being this week) I've decided to make my runs a bit different. Previously, whenever I did overcome the inertia of heading out for a run, I would make a loop around the neighbourhood, then go through Mediapolis, across the Ayer rajah flyover, over an overhead bridge, back through Mediapolis and the neighbourhood, which I would time myself to run in at most 30 minutes.

One day, I took a wrong turning, and headed down towards one north and got lost in the maze that is Biopolis. I got so tired trying to find my way out that I just walked for about 20 minutes before I found the exit. Usually, I would feel disappointed about walking, and not completing my run with integrity, and not going to my ultimate limit. But that time, the walk felt really good (it was also a really blissful day) and when I picked up my run to get back home, I felt utterly content with myself.

Now, when I head out, although I still stick to my usual path, I no longer wear a watch. I run at the pace my body feels like it needs that day. Sometimes, I really want an intense run, and I quicken my pace so that by the time I get back I am gasping and shaking and pretty much half dead. Sometimes (like today) I just want to get out and enjoy myself, and so I jog slowly, slow enough to gasp a conversation to anyone if I had the chance, and I really savour the last 100 - 200 meters where, without fail, I sprint and feel as if I am flying. And I'm pretty sure one day when I'm feeling adventurous, I'll go into the maze of Biopolis again.

It feels so much less tough on myself to just harmonise my movement to my situation at any given moment. It isn't any less of an run of integrity, because now instead of staying true to my standards of what I should push myself to be, I stay true to what I know my body needs. I don't think that watch is coming back on my wrist any time soon. (and besides - no more fear of a watch tan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment