Tuesday, May 5, 2015

29/04/15



 I've always loved rock climbing - its a journey up every wall, and then you get to fling yourself off and fall and not get hurt. But I also remember once when I went to England and tried to climb a rock wall in centreparks and couldn't, that I felt like such a failure especially since Hannah and Tim both could climb it. And it was that kind of bitter childhood prideful feeling of failure that prevents you from trying again because a little niggling voice inside says 'You'll only fail again.'

Well. Good thing that didn't last for long.

The ten ten camp facilitators went rock climbing on Wednesday, and on a happy happenstance we met Vanessa too!


Ellis and Wei Xin and I belayed each other, and they helped me climb a very very tough wall which I lost grip of at least thrice. I suppose it was an allegory of life - they are always there, in all my shortfalls and slip ups (which are many) and sorrows (which are few).

They also didn't let me down one of the walls, so I dangled helplessly, and told a random passer-by 'I'm stuck.' before they let me descend, only to stop again mere feet from the ground. But I was happy to dangle, held aloft by both of them.


Quite soon, we got tired and spent the time fooling around at the free walls, which again I conquered because they carried me.


There was also some photo bombing. (Also, why do guys flex in photographs?)


After it ended, I asked a handsome staff member to help us take a group photo, and then wandered around with Ellis and Wei Xin and found THE BEST MALL PIZZA it had a crispy yet soft and fluffy crust ahhhh.



We're beginning to fit together like sedimentary rocks. I can't believe university may soon pull us apart. But there'll always be an invisible string between us, and you just have to tug at it and my heart will open.

No comments:

Post a Comment