Sunday, May 17, 2015

14/05/2015 - MILESTONE


On Thursday, I went for the second scholarship interview for the National Heritage Board Scholarship. I got to City Hall rather too early, and had plenty of time to make my way to Stamford court.

I had a lovely chat with a National Museum curator before the interview started. In the interview room, there were 4 panelists and a scribe, and they asked questions that were quite standard - have you been to any museums recently? Why are you interested in heritage? and also the dreaded I see you've applied for a number of scholarships here, which are your top picks- be frank with us.

I had read up whole essays on the changing roles of museums and the programmes of the NHB, but they didn't ask me anything about that, and I left the interview room feeling a slight sense of 'what could have bee' because I knew there was so much I wanted to discuss about the potential of the NHB to really capture the hearts and minds of Singaporeans in the future.

I made a short stop at MINDs thrift store on the way home to get a present for Hannah and wound up getting two pairs of old jeans for myself at three dollars a piece, a stripy top for myself as well, and an Indian ethnic top and a sweet little mug with a bird painted on it for Hannah. I thought that was going to be it,  but I decided to look around the book shelves in case there was anything good to read. And that was when I spotted a pair of bright red vintage roller skates in the corner of the shop - the one's with four wheels and laces and high tops. I peeked underneath -size 10 -perfect for Hannah! And only $4!!! I almost did a dance right there and then!

So I walked home carrying a pair of bright red skates slung over my shoulder by its laces, although I had to hide them underneath a bedsheet when I got so they wouldn't be prematurely discovered by Hannah.

I decided to bake a chocolate and beetroot cake , using oat flour this time which gave a much more fudgy consistency which I like better. I cut myself a thick slice with some yoghurt and nestled myself in front of the computer.

Then I watched a few episodes of Beauty and the Geek (my guilty indulgence - I just love the comic juxtaposition of the socially thriving but ignorant beauties and the shy but brilliant geeks, and I love how the geeks are taught to e confident in themselves and the beauties are taught to value themselves for more than their physique.) Whilst I was watching it, I got a phone call from Mum.

Usually I don't like explaining my interview to my parents, because (like me), they are sticklers for details, and want to know every single question asked and answer given. So I braced myself for a long excavation of my interview followed by a dissection of what I could have done better. But mid way through the conversation, I got an email from the NHB, and, opening it, I read

"Hi Miriam,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been awarded the NHB Scholarship 2015 for your studies in University of Cambridge."

At which point I didn't read further, screamed down the phone line, started crying hysterically, and finishing up the phone call, running out of the back room to Tim, still crying and saying 'I got it! I got it!' and having to explain that 'it' wasn't anything life threatening or bad but my tears were happy tears.

I sent a message to Emily then, who insisted on calling me and we had a very happy conversation about the vegetable garden in Murray Edwards and how I will (Oh, that beautiful definite-ness in that modal verb) cycle around on a bicycle with a basket full of carrots, and how I will have my first ever Christmas in England, and how I will pack her in my suitcase and bring her there too.

The acceptance was just so surreal, and yet it concretised everything that had happened before that. I remember feeling just strange when I got my acceptance to Cambridge, happy and proud when I got my results (and not a little surprised), but still cognizant that my dreams had the silk skein of reality in the form of financial need around it. But when I got this email, something truly overjoyed just burst in my chest, like the surface tension of a bubble.

I am REALLY going to Cambridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment