Monday, May 18, 2015

2 questions



Two things that no longer make sense to me, and two questions I think we all have to periodically ask ourselves (myself included):

1. How can I eat, and therefore cause the death of, an animal, just because it tastes good?

2. How can I wear things that have been stitched together, glued together, folded and packaged by people working suffocating conditions on subsistence wages just because they look good?

That is just so messed up.

I realise I spend so much time explaining to people how animals have to undergo terrible suffering, how protein can be found elsewhere, how there is plenty of variety in a plant-based diet, when essentially it boils down to 'Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it: "My appetite is more important than your suffering?" ' -Moby

And the same goes for clothing. I was walking around in JCube today, where there was an abundance of beautiful clothing going for less than twenty dollars, and a part of me was thinking - What a good deal! How beautiful that would make me! But thankfully the part that thought 'Could I look another girl in the eyes and say to her: "My appearance is more important than your suffering?" ' triumphed. As it always should.

Animals and humans, we're both caught in a net of selfishness that entangles hearts and minds but hurts physical bodies.

'You're being so socially conscious'

No, I'm just lifting the blinkers of selfishness from my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment