Friday, March 30, 2012

the past is catching up with me...



I've been having disturbing 'clashes' with the past.
its like my past is haunting me or something.
so, on thursday after choir, i took the bus with emily because its more fun than taking the bus alone.
so we were on the bus, talking about her beautiful drawing of what i saw as a young chinese revolutionary with the fire of communism blazing in his eyes, and what she saw as a poor sad chinese man.
then, i saw a person.
wow, miriam, very smooth, like you don;t see people every minute of your life.
No, no, this person was from my primary school.
he belonged to the days when i wore black clips that pulled my hair tightly to the sides of my head and tied my hair in two plaits and mastered the art of walking around with my head buried in a book and not falling over.
he belonged to the days when i was a mouse of a girl, who had her comprehension papers snatched away and had to chase after the four fastest runners of the class to get it back (to no avail), and who was almost shut up in the tiny broom cupboard on her birthday with the strange boy who sat there in the dark during recess.
not exactly days i relished.
i think he recognised me, because he gave me a strange look (which i returned with the blur one i conjure up specially for occasions when i see vaguely familiar people that i don;t want to recognise or be approached by)
Then, a few stops later, another boy from my primary school got on and off the bus.
Now, here i musts stop and states the significance of these sightings.
Throughout my secondary school life, i searched the faces of the students at the bus stops to recognise anyone from my primary school, more from the novelty than anything else.
and i had not seen a single one in my life (save for a fleeting glimpse of a friend from AC barker, and the embarrassing periods when an ex HPPS turned SJI boy waits at the same bus stop as me).
Then, when i was walking across the over head bridge, who would i bump into but a girl from my primary school who said "Oh, hi! Hi :)" (you could almost see the smiley) eagerly and nervously. I returned and uncertain "h-hi"
and when i got to my tuition class, guess what?The boy sitting across the table from me just had to be someone from my primary school as well
Coincidence? i think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment