Sunday, January 22, 2017

Lent Term - First Week Back



I'm currently making yoghurt in my room. Apparently, if you buy store bought coconut yoghurt, put a couple of tablespoons of that in with normal coconut milk, and leave it in a warm place to incubate for 24-48 hours (cue turning my heater all the way up and wrapping my jar of soon to be 'yoghurt' in multiple woolly sweaters) it turns into yoghurt. My fingers are crossed, and I also can't wait for it to be ready because my room is very very warm right now.

My room didn't feel quite so warm a couple of days ago though, when I had a little fever. It came, not surprisingly after I'd stayed up til 1am three nights in a row to finish my dissertation draft (which I then proceeded to shave 5,000 words off). The morning after I submitted it, I had my first lecture and felt like I was burning in the library and lecture hall (and actually started sweating, prompting a concerned Alex to ask, 'Are you sweating?' and after that, 'Your eyes have gone all glassy.') and then in my replacement DoS meeting I almost cried, and was confused because he isn't someone I would cry in front of. Because I was feeling weird, I decided against a run and accepted I was sick, and watched Pan's Labyrinth instead of going to a party (which had a ball pit).

(Pan's Labyrinth, by the way, is an incredible film. It mixes and distorts different fairy tales, weaving it into politics but also makes any cut and dry connections between the 'magical' and the 'political' impossible, and, like the Spirit of the Beehive, has the really poignant idea of the loss of innocence, which oddly in the case of Pan's Labyrinth, is a realisation of your own loss of innocence rather than the protagonist's.)

I'm not doing this re-introduction very coherently, am I?

I got back on Monday. That's a start. I was glad to be back to me room with walls and my notebook where I plan out my days, and my shelves and cupboards and the nice big chest where all the mess and storage can be shoved.

I must push my foot stealthily lest I should fall off the edge of the world into nothingness. (The Waves)

I also got a membership for the college gym, which I have used twice, once in a self-conscious, half-hearted, rushed and embarrassed workout, and the second time alone in the gym, blasting worship songs, feeling strong and capable on the treadmill as I did intervals (half marathon 5 March)

On Tuesday, I cycled with Alex in the sun to the Daily Bread Cooperative, which sells bulk foods an health foods. I bought 5 kilograms of oats.

On Wednesday, the Just Love Folk came over and we prayed and planned. We prayed mostly over Psalm 1:

Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers.

We talked about how being a tree planted by streams of water entailed meditating on God's word, knowing what season it is in life and responding to God's call to action or instruction to just sit quietly and know and worship Him. We talked about water and rain, and how waiting for God's rain might be a lengthy process and that we might not see revival in Cambridge, we might not see many people accepting God, we might see the continual destruction of Gods earth and the continual ignoring of his hurting and vulnerable people, but sustained by the promises in His word, we will continue to rely on the stream, and trust and wait and pray. I have the big white piece of paper with a tree drawn on it and our prayers written. It's going to be our last term as a committee. May God move.

Thursday was the day I had glassy eyes and Friday was the day I had my DoS meeting (which I had missed on Wednesday out of sheer forgetfulness)

The only other thing worth saying is that I've developed a deep and unyielding love for grapenuts. They're an intensely crunchy cereal, just bits of wheat and salt really (for the detox, ya know) but so delicious with sweet almond milk and banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment