Friday, March 17, 2017

16/03/201


Someone decided it wass highly necessary to practice the tuba at  about 11pm as I tried my hardest to stay awake and do my referencing for my portfolio essays. There is a time and a place...

By about 12am I was in that sort of vortex of work where you know it's going to be a night (my night meaning no later than 2am but I think that's definitely late enough) and then the random soundcloud list I was on segued into an insane musical ride and every single song was bright sparks of colour and tapping feet. Maybe my late night music critic is more lenient, but I was very much enjoying doing my references along to these tunes (warning - highly happy clappy music):

                        x
x
                                                                      x
                                    x

The next day I woke up and kept going - footnote, textbox, fig.1m, italicise - aargh a spelling error!!! But I managed to get my essays printed and handed into Leo for the 12pm deadline by sprinting through the plodge, vaguely reminiscent of this essay hand in last year.

And then I went back to my room and of course looked over my essays again, worried, and spotted a rogue text box that had jumped into the middle of the page! So I had to go and print it again, but you know how it is, when you move one thing suddenly the entire page shifts, and all your previously carefully constructed formatting is shattered and you've wasted 50 pages of paper.

Agh.

But I did it again properly and Leo was fine with replacing the first one with it, so that was good.

Alex and I had planned to get falafel and then jump into the Cam to celebrate, but things went a little different. The falafel van we always get our falafel fix had run out of falafel (travesty) so we got them from a stall in the market, and I got a juice and Alex got a fresh tomato that she bit into there and then.

Then we sped-cycled to Grantchester, dithered a bit on the bank (Leo's warning of 'rusty iron' potentially lurking the waters ringing in my ears) and then Alex slid in. I watched her for while in case of disaster and a necessary quick rescue from bankside. 'Are you alright?' I called (now I was just stalling) 'Just trying to focus on my breathing!'

I splashed some water on my face and chest to get used to its freezing coldness, then went in slowly, slowly and then all of a sudden.

Oh! It was so cold it felt like my skin was burning. I was breathing so fast, and loudly, but gradually calmed a little and we swum together down river. To see the river bank rising up on our left, the trees so vast over head on our right, the constant throb of the cold water on aching muscles, it was so surreal. My flesh seemed to have expanded in the cold, all taut and raw, a mix of pleasure and pain.

I don't know how long we spent in the water, although I doubt it was very long. We clambered out, river mud on our legs and arms, wiped ourselves down and changed there on the bank into clean, dry clothes and cycled back in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment