Thursday, September 1, 2016

Which you have that growed


Something you realise as a returning overseas student is just how much people change while you are away, and particularly how they change. Some people stay largely the same, but as the sands of time sharpen some edges and dull others, most of my friends develop new facets of self, or mediate and mature in some aspects, or lose some parts of their old self as they step into a new skin of their adulthood.

On Tuesday night I met Cheemeng, who I haven't seen for about a whole year, and as I waited for him in Real Food, I wondered what would have changed. Having not kept in contact much while I was in England, I didn't know what sort of person he'd be, especially having gone through army which changes one so much.

Well, the first thing I noticed was that he'd grown a couple of centimeters taller. But more importantly, he'd become so much happier, and sure of his direction in life, and mature in his conversation.

But in many aspects he was also still the same old cheeky, irreverent friend I've kept since orientation. I wish I could have said this line from Great Expectations to describe him:

"Which you have that growed," said Joe, "and that swelled, and that gentle-folked" Joe considered a little before he discovered this word; "as to be sure you are a honour to your king and country"

But since he hasn't read a book for at least half a year (and has left To Kill a Mockingbird half finished) I wasn't sure if that particular description would be quite relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment