Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WORD



Kahlil Gibran

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.

Knowing when to say nothing often cleverer than saying nothing of consequence. I recently whatsapped Ellis about how i was surrounded by meaningless conversation (Irony: i was drowning in a sea of shallowness), and love so free i was afraid it had lost it intention and meaning.

After that i had one of the best conversations of the term.

But.

Sometimes i get very uncomfortable with the overwhelming affection i see around me. In AC there is a HUGE hugging culture. People hug after missing each other for one lesson, or two or three. And i can't help but think about people in Korea who long to hug their loved ones but are separated by the 38th parallel, or those in Gaza, who hug and wish they really never had to let go because separation means the possibility of dying apart. How can we claim our affection is justified when our separation is so trivial?

Then again.

The people in Korea probably wished they had hugged more when they were together. The Gazans too probably wish in each hug time would stand still. Perhaps affection is justified when we never know when it will be impeded.

All the same.

I feel that the hugging habit has become just that-habit. It has become a greeting just like Hi. Skin to skin contact isn't so electrifying anymore, it is everyday.

And then.

I have come to appreciate this girl in my class so much. She's called Sze hui and she's incredibly quiet. And i love spending time with her because we don't have to talk and i can feel safe in the knowledge that i will not be jolted out of my thoughts or my day dreams to (dare i say it/Stevens) banter.

At the same time.

Deep conversations with people like Ellis and Emily and Luk Ching still enthrall me.

It is 12.17 i.e incoherence time i.e this post has been but a mangled mess of WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY

perhaps i should just not have said anything: Knowing when to say nothing often cleverer than saying nothing of consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment