Friday, August 22, 2014

On street harassment



A few days ago i came across a video that consisted of interviews of women who had been street harassed, experienced catcalling, groping, inappropriate touching and borderline violence from men on the street who they never knew. I was so disgusted because it was as if these men felt like they owned women, and relished in the power they had over women and the fear they could evoke.

When i walk home from school at night i do feel terrified, a do take my phone out and dial my dad's number and keep my finger hovering over the green call button, and i do panic if i here footsteps behind me. I don't know if its an inborn fear among girls, but i wish it didn't have to be. I wish it were irrational over imagination and i wish harassment like that was a very very distant nightmare. But it isn't.

I remember my mother telling me when i was young of one of my neighbors who had been walking out of her house when she had been pulled behind a bush nearby and 'touched'. I still remember how frightened i felt by that word i knew this 'touched' was not the same kind of touch I'd ever heard or felt before. And my mum told me how it was something most girls experience in life. And after that i felt kind of like life was a ticking time bomb and one day a man was going to reach out, touch me, and explode it.

That was why i had such a strong aversion to the two boys in SCGS who whistled and shouted at me as i played badminton in the courtyard (http://sleepingpolicemen.blogspot.sg/2012/09/weird-stuff-happens.html)
because the bomb went 'tick     tick    tick  tick tick tickticktickticktick'

I just think this should be stopped, and i don't know how but i do know why- because when bombs explode, they damage.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this my first thought was: wow that's strangely coincidental........I seem to have been involved in an incident uncannily akin to your badminton story. I then proceeded to conclude that SCGS must be crawling with boorish boys who find amusement in the harassment of racquet game-playing school girls.
    Then I read your other post and felt silly.

    ReplyDelete