Sunday, August 17, 2014

mix



I still can't quite decide if Monday was a terriblehorriblenogoodverybad day, or a day full of whimsy and wonder.

It began well, with a porridge breakfast.
(i don't know why people don't think oats when i say porridge-why would one eat rice for breakfast?)
whenever i eat porridge i think other grandma, because she eats it every day for breakfast. I have mine with honey, cinnamon and raisins and she has hers much the same, except less of each flavour whilst i pile it on.

After that i studied with Ben for a while, and i wasn't very productive, although i did finish my math notes!

After that the day started to go downhill. I had to prepare for my interview with PSC, i.e. the biggest interview of my entire life, upon which the course of my future depended upon. I wore a neatly pressed white shirt and a beige skirt and my court shoes and stockings and i felt completely not me. But i still went, arriving 45 minutes early and so i hung around the library while i waited.

When time came for me to wait i went to the waiting room and had a nice chat with the girl before me who was really friendly and comforting.
After she was called in talked with the girl after me too, mostly about the same things i talked about with the girl before.

My interview. I honestly feel like it went rather badly, it was grueling and tough and the interviewers were so so thorough, i felt young and stupid and superficial in their presence. I also felt incredibly annoyed at how they kept on interrupting me, preventing me from developing my answers to a point i felt satisfied with. They asked me on all manner of things, from shoebox houses in Hongkong, to the reasons for the gaza conflict, to my disinclination for leadership and preference instead for being an 'influential follower'

Perhaps i don't want to be bonded for 6 years, I'm still not completely certain  about that. I don't know so much about whether i want to be bonded right now. I think for this i will see how God steers me (especially in the outcome of this interview) and who knows, perhaps losing it will be a blessing in disguise.

After the interview, i walked toward the mrt station, and was stopped on the way by a man who asked me about my school and stuff and apparently was from AC too before he transferred to a polytechnic. And anyway he was raising funds for a school for girls on the street, and asked me what i thought they needed to build a school. So, helpfully, i said, "Bricks." Which made him laugh but didn't deter his purpose and so i left $10 poorer (did i ever mention that I'm very bad at saying no) but for some reason the encounter lifted my spirits somewhat. (when i returned home my other said he was probably planted by the PSC to see how gullible i was)

But after that i headed to Holland village to get a dog balloon from Gideon for Daphne's birthday the next day. (i was the official balloon carrier for his surprise for her the next day) And so i rode the train home in my court shoes, starched top, beige skirt, and a helium filled pug under one arm, and had a mini discussion with the Cold Storage cashier in chinese over whether it was a dog or a seal (she still remained unconvinced that i was a dog after i left)

I got home, thoroughly tired, and made a cheesecake, and then went for a swim to wash of the stress of THE FUTURE. I pseudo-raced the man in the lane next to me without him knowing, and i am proud to say i won this unofficial Olympic race. Or rather he was disqualified because he left the pool before i felt like the race was over, so i did the next few laps in solitude, and then just floated around and submersed myself in the water until i was confused over how to find the surface and where was the bottom and the top and whether i was still in a pool or just floating in space.

In order to prevent drowning (ever pragmatic) i left, put on my clothes over my wet swim things and dripped all the way back home, finishing a Poirot mystery on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment