Friday, March 22, 2013

Musings


I was thinking, and i realised i really don't know what romantic love is
I know what it feels like, i know how to recognise it in myself and in others
But what exactly is it?
Is it a chemical or a hormone, that could be wiped out if you had brain damage or if you removed a gland?
Is it a disease that could be cured with time and abstinence?

I don't want people to tell me
"Love is when..."
"Love feels like..."
"Love makes you..."
I don't want metaphors
I don't want examples

I want someone to tell me what it is and why it exists and how come it controls us so much

here are some interesting thoughts on what love is and they answer my question somewhat but not entirely
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/13/what-is-love-five-theories
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/01/01/what-is-love/

perhaps i'll only know what exactly love is when i fall into it unreservedly and receive it back as well
But will that be an exact definition
or will it be an experience?

Or maybe it's undefinable and that's exactly what's so infuriating about it

No comments:

Post a Comment