Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Birthday weekend



My birthday was tres magnifique

I remember being quite sad last year because my birthday was in the middle of O level prelims and so it was kind of glossed over.
But, like my brother wrote on his card "Your sweet 16th wasn't very sweet but your sweet 17th will sweeter"

Anyway, so on the 26th i went into school totally and absolutely unsuspecting because i thought my class was probably planning something for the 29th (the Monday after my birthday), which was a logical conclusion was it not because of day proximity or whatever. After a really really good literature lesson (what am i saying Mrs warren's profession and Mrs Creffield is always fantastic, i feel like i come out of every class knowing 3000 more secrets), we went for PE, and after i changed into my pe kit, and went back to the class

And suddenly, the sprang this glorious flower wreath on me and sang Happy Birthday and i felt like princess diana or something so much attention i got the blushing-and-smiling thingy that happens when there are so many eyes on me but it was so wonderful i felt so special

And then we had a great soccer match football is like the AH game another sign of moving on i guess NO MORE SC CAPTAIN'S BALL MANIA (bittersweet letting go)

The rest of the day was so funny the class sang happy birthday is AGAIN in econs class and made me wear the wreath to math lecture and in GP and around school and in HISTORY LECTURE oh my because i was wearing the most-beautiful-wreath-in-the-history-of-the-earth i was called to answer Mr Kumu's questions (Could the lady with the flowers in her hair...)

After school, i had track, and to my surprise they'd ALSO planned something (!!!) and just feigned innocence and ignorance throughout training, until afterward when they sprung cupcakes and a shirt with all their messages written on it (THIS IS TRACK THIS IS FAMILY THIS IS LOVE THIS IS A SPORT CCA WHY DID I NOT JOIN ONE BEFORE I LOVE THEM)

SAturday was mainly uneventful birthday wise (although i did go personal birthday shopping-by myself, at a flea market with $4 dresses and i also found FRIED GREEN TOMATOS the book which i bought for mum (Buying nice books for other people is one of my happy things) and watched my first ever opera which i violently hated in the first Act but finally began to appreciate in Act 3 after reading the synopsis in the programme because an angmoh man asked me to shut up because i was whispering too much to aly in the hopes of finding out what on earth was going on on stage)

Sunday was nice because
1) I woke up EXTREMELY EARLY to meet Ellis at HV for breakfast/failed sunrise watching (and my dad was lovely and decided to send me and he said 'happy birthday' in the morning even though he was groggy from sleep he remembered)
2) Ellis came and she brought a cake YUM and herself DOUBLE YAY and we talked and walked the empty streets and sat in an not yet open Kenny Roasters (and saw a man deliver frozen chicken to the shop, presumably to be sold later on) and talked and talked like old times whenever i talk to ellis i feel like she really cares about all my petty concerns and that she's someone God really uses to help neutralise my over melodramatic-ness and someone who just really genuinely loves everyone around her
3) So breakfast was fantastic

4) I wore my new white bally sandals to church
even writing that makes me happy
there's something about sandals that make everything more summery and celebratory

5) After church i got a SUNFLOWER from christy i love love love flowers and i loce yellow and i love sunflowers and i love christy thank you so much

6) Agnes and Gloria and the Sunday school girls ambushed me when i emerged from the toilet with happy birthdays and lovely gifts

7) lunch was at raffles city where they always play ABBA music

8) Emily and Christy got me this most glorious ever banana cake it was the most delicious banana cake i have eaten ever in my entire LIFE

9) Emily got me Jam i love jam bottles i love holding jam and eating jam is alright too i guess BUT Having Jam is something that wow (TIME: 12 07 please excuse me)

10) I can;t remember but the day was lovely

11) Oh i watched Sherlock at night which was pretty nice until the end

12) And Hannah got me the nicest presents ever the exact kinds of things i like- a book (Did i mention i love getting books too) and nail polish and mascara in a very sweet small bottle and Young Victoria the movie (watch as my heart melts) <3 p="">
On monday, The HPPS kids in choir surprised me with a chocolate thingy from awfully chocolate and Blueberries which was incredibly sweet of them (literally heehee)

And timmy got my lovely jewelry (And i thought his taste was questionable) and the earrings are perfect for my new once a week rebellious earrings campaign

And then i thought my birthday was over

And so on saturday when i was sitting at my computer, typig out a literature essay and singing Silent Night to myself, and suddenly felt Cold hands over my eyes, i was absolutely unsuspecting

"Tim, go away. Stop it tim..."

I said

like an idiot

Because then i realised it wasn't Tim

It was Weixin-the sneakiest girl on the planet who was apparently having dinner nearby

and had something to pass to me, from her mum downstairs

so i followed her

and tried to find her mu

when suddenly she did the I'm-kidnapping-you-by-covering-your-eyes hand thing again and made me walk down a perilous path and a treacherous cliff (I swear i almost died. almostnotreallybutpossiblycloseto)

And onto a grassy field

And when she opened my eyes

They were all there on the filed, smiling and singing and with a birthday cake and i was so immensely surprised my jaw literally dropped and i was so happy because i almost thought they forgot about my irthdya

And there they were

the sneakiest people in the world
and the best

The rest of the evening was spent talking and playing and sticking our legs in the air and tracing the outlines of trees with our feet and watching the sky grow dark and listening to music it was all very amazing

and when we went up stairs Charmaine played wonderful music including the wangbuliao song that gets me and my dad every time

It was so perfect
so unexpected and so wonderfully perfect


No comments:

Post a Comment