Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Young


Yesterday was youth day
In the morning, i headed down to tanglin halt to get a hair cut
i was kind of in one of my moods (probably because i was reading Never let me go by kazuo ishiguro-more on that another time)
and i'd also been turning the haircut over in my mind last night, and decided that i wouldn't go to my normal hair dressers
because although he does a decent job
the uncomfortable experience makes it all not worth it
cos what he does is talk-whisper to me in chinese the entire time
maybe he's trying to be soothing (because having a haircut is oh SO traumatizing) but it just creeps me out
so when i spotted a $5 hair cut offer at a tiny little barbers i thought
'perfect'
i went in and read some more while waiting for my turn, and then asked the hair dresser to give me a trim (Up to -this is a weird way of expressing it but i can't exactly use my hands to gesture- the crease where my arm meets my shoulder)
and he looked like he got it
and proceeded to chop it 3 inches shorter
so it was with some shock that i walked out of the shop with my hair just just below my shoulders
it felt gorgeous though, even though for $5 it was just a straight chop, no layers of special blow drying or water/soap spray thing

Then i took the 123 to plaza singapura, and purposely got off one stop late so i could finish Never let me go by the time i walked to plaza singapura (which i did)
and then i met weixin, ellis wanchia and charmaine, who i felt like i hadn't seen in e o n s
we talked and dithered over where to eat for a while (it was so deliciously us, and comfortingly familiar because even though we knew it would take a g e s to decide where to eat there was the certainty that we would find somewhere eventually, as usual)
the we ate at Carls junior and had crepes for dessert (Nutella and banana please I'm in heaven)

While eating the crepes i saw Andy, Timothy, and the entire Acjc tennis team which was strange but nice as well

After food and a bit of daiso shopping (26 photo frames), we went to watch white house down in the cinema

I love cinemas, and specially this one
Usually when you go in there's this murky half light and you can see the shadows of people's faces when you squeeze past them into your seat
But this time it was almost pitch black, and i couldn't see anyone i was moving past, all i could hear was the rustle of clothes, and feel the outline of the chairs in front of me (and sometimes i accidentally bumped someones head/hair with my hands), and my mumbled apologies

White house down was good in my opinion
There were quite a few twists, lots of very good action, and generally a very cinema kind of show

After all the excitement of the movie i was pretty exhausted

and so i went home on the bus

I'm glad i got to spend youth day with the girls it felt very right and natural and  felt very young (despite my haircut making me feel old initially)

No comments:

Post a Comment