Thursday, April 14, 2016

Scotland Day 3 and 4


The train ride from Fort William to Edinburgh was a long one, but oddly enough, one of my favourite parts of the holiday. B and I had a punnet of grapes to munch on, I had Cymbeline to read, and the whole of the Scottish countryside spread out before me. I think travelling on trains is probably my favourite way to travel - no stress of security, gorgeous views, and that rollicking, rocking movement that is just so comforting.

Emily and Uncle Alistair were at the train station to pick us up, which was good since B's foot was still sore.

I helped to cook a sweet potato and chickpea curry for dinner, and then we went for a stand up comedy night. I'd never been for one before, but I love laughing, and so I was looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, most of the jokes were about sex, one was on domestic violence, one very long one was on vegans, and one was about God. I'm not always offended when jokes about veganism or God arise (I never think jokes about domestic violence are alright though, and I think jokes about sex just speak of a lack of creativity) because I think humour can sometimes be a good entry point for talking about deeper issues of veganism or religion. Also, sometimes humour is merited when it points out the tropes or flaws of a movement (like the jokes about 'christian-ese' ...Christians, we really need to stop using such exclusive language) 

Too many parenthesis in that paragraph, I apologise.

But anyway, the man's joke wasn't about Christians, which I think is acceptable because we are so flawed. It was about Jesus, mocking his death, saying His face was sad because He'd been told He was adopted!?!!?! 

Sigh.

Even if you don't believe in the divinity of Jesus, I don't think it's very nice to make fun of a man's very painful death.

I was so sad, that the event that saved all humanity was so rudely and crassly mocked (like the soldiers round the cross who taunted jesus). It's sad that people laugh over things that are so not-funny. It's sad that lots of people there were laughing only because alcohol had deadened their senses and they were often not even laughing at the jokes but just laughing at nothing. It's sad that you can't joke about race but you can joke about religion. And it's sad that people go to a cramped, suffocating pub to hear crass jokes about sex to get joy on a Saturday night when real joy, true laughter without burden or guilt or smut is all accessible and given to us by Jesus. 

I just felt so strongly in the stand up comedy that we were made for something so much better.

The next day was much nicer.

Edinburgh blessed us with beautiful weather our entire time there, and we stepped out into the sunshine and went for a walking tour. I wasn't sure if B could make it through, and we'd agreed that if necessary she'd stop and have a coffee somewhere if things got to much, while I'd continue and tell her about the rest of the tour.

But thankfully we didn't need to, because she was a champion and finished the whole tour, even though I knew her foot was hurting her at points. The Sandeman's tour is incredible, our guide, Ben, was charismatic and knowledgeable and he explained how authors flock to Edinburgh because it has always been the city of contrasts - light and dark, beauty and terrible crime. We heard of some of that beauty - things like the beautiful St Giles Cathedral (with an angel playing the bagpipes!) and the Edinburgh castle and faithful greyfriar's bobby, and also the seedy and dark, like half-hanged maggie, and the hilarious plot to get back the stone of destiny. 


We were due to meet Jasmine for lunch, and so we walked through the meadows to get there, and the crocuses were out. Jasmine had been in ACJC and is in Edinburgh now, and Nat put me in contact with her when she found out I'd be there too. The crazy thing is - B and Jasmine knew each other too, from their dancing backgrounds! Singapore is so small that I shouldn't be surprised, but still, what serendipity!


We had lunch at a lovely cafe Jasmine picked out. When B and I arrived, B looked around and said 'Is Jasmine vegan?...This is definitely one of those vegan places.' And the food was quite delicious, so I'm glad B had a good first take on 'one of those vegan places'. Jasmine's course sounds fascinating - it's a mix of environmental studies and business if I remember right, which I think is what our world needs today (amongst various other things) -businesses that actually work in our capitalist economy but also work with our world.

Jasmine was so kind and joined B and I when we went to Arthur's Seat. Alex called me when I was at  the base of the hill, since she knew I was in Edinburgh. We were both at 'the bottom of Arthur's Seat' but neither of us could see each other. And so we agreed to meet at the top, and I told her to look out for the 'girl in the bright yellow jacket', since I'm basically a light-house beacon of sunshine yellow in that coat - unmissable.
 
 

Alex brought me a really ripe banana - the sweetest present ever, and it fit right into my pocket. I thnk Alex thinks my banana obsession is slightly insane (and so do the Just Love Committee when they found out I eat about 4 a day) but friendship covers a multitude of 'sins'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment