Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Pancake day



Today was pancake day - I'd planned to make pancakes for a while, since in college my lack of a frying pan and time means breakfast is porridge or museli most days.

I used Cookie and Kate's pancake recipe, but replaced the oil with half of a banana because we're running out of oil here and I needed it to fry the pancakes! I managed to drop a big pile of them in the oven when i was trying to carefully place them in to keep them warm, but I quickly picked them up and they tasted just as delicious.


Grandma has been tying a scarf around her waist, sometimes with a hot water bottle tucked in, because she says it makes her feel safe, like someone is holding her together. She started that habit when Grandad and the family began moving from place to place, setting up old folks' homes, and while altruistic it was also unsettling.

“Words strain, 
Crack and sometimes break, under the burden, 
Under the tension, slip, slide, perish, 
Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place, 
Will not stay still.”
-T.S Eliot

I'm beginning to really really love T.S Eliot, and if nothing else I will be grateful for that take away from a Cambridge education.

No comments:

Post a Comment