Friday, February 26, 2016

Things I've fallen in love with this week



1. I think I may have fallen in love with Sir Walter Raleigh while reading 'The Ocean to Cynthia'

[...]

Lost in the mud of those high-flowing streams
Which through more fairer fields their courses bend,
Slain with self-thoughts, amazed in fearful dreams,
Woes without date, discomforts without end:

From fruitful trees I gather withered leaves
And glean the broken ears with miser's hands:
Who sometime did enjoy the weighty sheaves
I seek fair flowers amid the brinish sand.

[...]

2. And also this dress, which I have decided shall be my wedding dress if I ever get married


3. Performing- the exhilaration of stage. I went on for Dance of the Knights not knowing if I would be able to smile because my cheeks felt wobbly with nervousness, but by the Folk Dance I didn't want to get off the stage and at the bows my smile was Arctic ocean wide

4. Paradise Lost. After writing my essay on the rhetoric of grace I'm hooked. Milton is a genius. And (I argue in my essay) Christ is the perfect simile.

'The overlapping of images that takes place in a simile is manifest in Christ - the image of Man over the image of God meet in his incarnate body and Christ is ‘made in the likeness of men’.  The overlapping is precisely what leads to salvation, as only by covering the shame and sin of Man with the perfection of God, can Man regain paradise... After losing the paradisal unity of God and Man predicated on sinlessness and obedience in Eden, God once again devises a means for a relationship with his creation. Where the pure language of Eden was corrupted with a simile, God uses a simile of his own to rectify the broken relationship and once again join two entities that have been made disparate.'

No comments:

Post a Comment