Friday, February 26, 2016

Opening Night


I seem to have a bad tendency to be in the bathroom when someone comes knocking at my room door. Twice I was just half undressed to get in the shower and managed to wrap a towel round myself and answer, and the last time I said 'Coming' and the person heard 'Come in' and I had barely enough time to quickly get decent. All she wanted was a pair of chopsticks, which I don't have.

Tonight when I answered Natalia at the door, I had full stage make up on because I'd just returned from the opening night of Romeo and Juliet. The last ballet production I danced in was Avivas when I was about 8, so tonight was so so exciting.

Being part of the corps meant that during a couple of Soloists dances we were background townspeople or ball attendees. Often I feel that the miming as part of the background is harder than the actual dances, which become muscle memory by the time it gets to show. A few of the girls and I have found a way of overcoming that - we make up stories for the different scenes. For example, during Romeo's love-struck solo, Natalia and I are competing for the attention of Benvolio and Mercutio, during the pas de deux Laura tells me baout her philandering husband who is dancing with one of Juliet's friends, and during the Nurses scene, Natalie tells me about how terribly age has gotten to her and how she really should have something done about her saggy behind!

I'm tired, but I couldn't stop grinning on the cycle back, and tomorrow (which is closing night - when a show is just two days I don't know which is more exciting!) I'll get to dance again, and that is a wonderful blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment