Monday, June 1, 2015

Imaginary instrument


In Starbucks one day I sat with my tuition students, whiling away time while they wrote out a timed essay.

Suddenly, I heard a short, sharp burst of "tshh tshh tshh" sounds coming from the corner of the room. It sounded like air escaping from a tire going over a series of bumps.

I looked over, and there was quite a young man, staring intently at his lap top screen, his fingers hovering in the air, and rising and falling, his mouth pursed (from which the curious sounds came from). He was playing an imaginary air instrument of some sort, presumably following a score and practicing, and he had the most concentrated look I have ever seen anyone playing anything imaginary have.

Why do people come to Starbucks to drink coffee and read and study when you could play imaginary music?

No comments:

Post a Comment