Wednesday, June 3, 2015

03/06/2015


I woke up at half past ten today, after watching a heart wrenching movie about the execution of Sophie Scholl yesterday (part of the White Rose organisation in Nazi Germany), and decided to make myself the best possible breakfast - so I had oatmeal with cooked apples, banana, some flax seeds and blueberries and dragon fruit (I promise I took off the skins!)

Monday, Tuesday and today have all been days to myself. I really appreciate days to myself. I spend them alone, reading, talking to myself, trying on all the different creams on my mother's dressing table and inhaling the smells, taking time to prepare slow meals, watching movies alone and crying as much as I want without feeling embarrassed, cleaning things and feeling satisfied at the superficial neatness of items placed in ninety-degree angled stacks at the corners of tables.

Right now as I'm typing this I'm singing 'Flashlight' to myself, and after this I'm going to fall into the sofa with A Tale of Two Cities and read for an hour and a half straight.

Days alone are so important, to just get comfortable with yourself, recalibrate, appreciate the small things and remind yourself that really, you are such an interesting person that you could spend three whole days with yourself and not get bored.

They're also so important for you to take things at your own pace. Maybe today I want to wake up at 6 am, or 11 am, or 4 am - with a day to yourself you can do that without the obligation of work or school. You can arrest yourself while doing the dishes just to absorb the most 'beautiful sunlight falling on the hill' view from your kitchen window. You can go up to a sun-dried towel in the middle of doing the hoovering and just inhale and wonder how on earth the sun smells so good.

I love this slow week, after the jam packed activity of last week that allowed me to catch up with so many precious people. Soon enough I shall begin craving activity again but for now I am content to just lie down, and read, and take life as slowly as I want to.





No comments:

Post a Comment