Sunday, January 20, 2013

psalm 139


Auntie Peng asked us last week to think over psalm 139

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.My frame was not hidden from you 

  when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body;    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be."

Today when we talked about it in Sunday school (or rather didn't talk about it, we were quiet. Still, it's better than what it was last year), we talked about what it was like to be made in God's image and inherit his characteristics and being made for community which was all right
but when i thought about it on monday/tuesday (late monday night/early tuesday morning) i actually looked at it in a different, more personal aspect.
I thought about vanity and envy
because that week i'd been  kind of 'fan-girling' (i don't fan-girl but i don't really know the right word for what i was doing) over Elle fanning and her sister and basically half admiring half feeling jealous over their good looks (which, as you will see from the pictures below, is perfectly justifiable. they really do have very good genes) (sorry, a spate of pictures here but i told you, i was faux 'fan-girling')




















And then when i did that passage, i thought about how god made me ME and well i'm made in his image and feeling jealous over other people's good looks is silly and ungrateful and superficial. SO i made a resolution.

I will accept that they are beautiful and that i will never be beautiful like that
And i will not care
Even if i think in my head 'i wish i could look like that' (it's probably inevitable for a while) i won't tell anyone, and just squash those thoughts and tell myself they are insignificant and hopefully they'll soon become non existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment