Saturday, December 19, 2020

5 things

 



1. Work has been really stressful recently, and (as these things tend to do) has been making its way into my dreams. I dreamt that I was in a cafe and I met a lawyer who I've been in contact with and who has been hard to get a reply from. 

'Hello!' 

        'Hello!' 

'I'm so sorry I didn't reply - you see, I met someone! We're getting married and I'm moving abroad.'

So now when I don't get a reply to my copious pestering emails, I'll imagine her and her new lover in Barbados building a house.

2. My knee is healing, and I can now run 15 minutes continuously (although I get quite out of breath doing so, because my stamina has faded somewhat...)

3. J brought home a game that he sometimes plays with his students, which involves crafting a mythical tale using prompts (it's great). To begin the game, you have to list a cast of characters. We began with a witch named Helga, a shepherd boy called Ananias and his grandfather Sergio (we were trying to make the cast diverse, hence the random collection of names). 

        J: 'How about a...a big sea serpent?'

        M:'Yes!'

        J: 'We could call it...um....'

        M: (whispers) 'Susan.'

I don't think I've seen J laugh so hard all month.

4. Mum and J have been getting some really sweet notes from students and student's parents. It makes me realise just what a huge difference teachers make in people's lives. I'm going to marry a life-changer! 

5. We made mincemeat yesterday (for mince pies). It involved quite a lot a brandy, and all the dried fruit in the world. We bought a little bottle of brandy from Fairprice and have have a bottle left for next year. Next year! It will be a different Christmas then, and it feels a little like we are starting to create traditions for then, now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment