Monday, July 17, 2017

Back



Hello.

Hello can you hear me?

It's been a long time, but I can't say I'm sorry. This space is always a joy to write it, and if my joy is beckoning from other places then I chase that. But today, after a wonderful day meeting with Nat, joking around with Tim, listening to a good audiobook and having just popped an apple crumble in the oven for later, I had the strongest desire to sit down and write again.

I have been writing - letters and post cards, diary entries, whatsapp texts, facebook messages, exam essays. But now once again I'm drawn to this limbo of public and private, eternal and erasable and my small audience of you.

Dribbles of what I've been up to will probably surface here at points but one of the sentences that I wanted to write here was:

I am extremely proud of my ability to make an apple crumble in less that 15 minutes.

and another was:

I've been thinking all day of how to phrase this to my family and I think I've got it. News to be digested along with the crumble.

This morning Nat and I went to the Yayoi Kusama Art Exhibition in the National Gallery, which was spectacular. So much detail, so much enduring patience and precision, but also so much playfulness and joy (although there were some troubles/sad/provocative pieces too) We had lunch at a new acai place and then dessert, and we just talked and talked and talked, all the leftover words that can't fill skype/whatsapp conversations. We overlap for just this one day, before she goes back to Melbourne, and so I was full of gratitude that we managed to meet. I shall miss you, dear friend. Be yourself and be happy (the two, of course, are so closely linked)

2 comments:

  1. Could I have a go at your apple crumble recipe please!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jasmine! I don't really have a recipe - I just mix oats, oat flour, nuts or nut flour, cinnamon with some liquid sweetener and coconut oil and water if it's too dry. And I chop up apples into small cubes with a little cinnamon and lemon juice and raisins and use that as the apple bit - and then I put it in the oven at 160-180 degrees for 10-20 minutes (after 10 minutes I just keep checking it) Sorry that isn't very helpful but here's a similar recipe: https://deliciouslyella.com/2013/09/06/blackberry-apple-and-maple-crumble/ and also, you can't really go wrong with crumble so experimenting is fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete