Saturday, November 18, 2023

The Prayers of our Father

Earlier this year Jacob and I tried to write a poem a week (or was it a day?) for Lent. I found myself returning, over and over again, to my father's stroke. One that I wrote (which I haven't included here) was based on the one of his early prayers, when he was struggling to find words but which resulted in prayers that were, often, just right.

Here are a smattering, of what I think will be a larger project of processing the strange grief of someone who Is there-but-not-there, himself-but-not-himself:


If a Tree Falls in the Forest, and There's No One Around to Hear It, Does It Make a Sound? 


That night you didn't snore so loudly

and later they found a blister pack for panadol 

in the rubbish bin

that masked the throbbing in your head.


In another room your wife was sleeping.

Your son was out.

I was on the other side 

of the world, frying courgettes for a dinner party.


How can it be

that a blood vessel bursting

does not make a sound?


I play it over and over again in my head

the moment you fell

in a noiseless world.


Grace before a meal


Father, thank you for this provision

and may you always be

a source of investment for good food

Amen


The butterfly


It was purple

the butterfly on a green leaf

The woman on my left took out her phone 

and flicked her finger across the screen

conjuring a camera


and all the time I was afraid

to enjoy the miracle before me

because I knew that when you don't expect it

a butterfly can fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment