Saturday, November 18, 2023

Running home

(written a while ago)

I was cycling home on Tuesday when the idea to run home from work came into my mind. I often cycle to and from work and by the time I get home, I feel far too tired to go for a run on top of that, or if I do it's usually not a very long one. But I love running; it is a barometer of where my heart is, a reminder of the physical nature of my body and the natural fact of limitations, and almost always reacquaintance with joy.

So yesterday I closed my laptop early, changed into my running clothes, and began. I felt invincible and agile, able to hop over curbs and rough paving stones or dodge people walking in the middle of the path easily. 

Once I got to about half-way through I was tomato-faced and tired. I stopped and walked, looked at my phone and realised I'd gone much faster than I thought I would, probably because I was comparing myself to the pace I am familiar with: bicycle pace. I was used to the world passing by me much faster and when running I felt awfully slow, so I pushed myself harder as a result. 

I tried to ease off a little to take things at a more sensible pace, but my internal drive for glory kept pushing me faster. I got home 10 minutes quicker than my goal time, partly because of this competitive streak, partly because of Cece Winans singing, and partly because the route was slightly shorter than I'd initially thought. 

Would I do this again? Yes, more slowly. Running often reflects my internal state, and the relentless speed I kept driving myself to reflects an attitude I've been taking at work. Today I won't be running home from work; I'll practice slowing down until I can trust that my next run will be more measured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment