Friday, November 20, 2015

Falling in love, dosa and trains


1. Every time I go to Polly's house for Monday Supervisions, her curly, black-haired dog travels around the dining table we sit around, allowing himself to be petted and loved and made a fuss over. He came up to me a week ago and propped his paws on my legs and stared at me with his chocolate brown eyes. I thought I would fall in love in Cambridge but I never thought it would be with a dog.

2. Whenever I want to make a smoothie in the morning, afraid of the loud 'GREERRRRRRR' of the blender, I balance it on my table, and then heap my duvet and my blanket over it and hold on tight while I switch it on. Its roar is muffled and the vibrations of my blender travel through the duvet into my arms.

3. I had my first ever Indian (anglicised) takeaway, from Cocum, which is really near college. Alex, Rachael and I all got Masala Dosa, and although the Dosa itself wasn't as good as Ghim Moh's Heaven's Curry, I did like the masala filling (probably because the anglicisation of it meant it wasn't too spicy) We had such a good time, vascillating from Seamus Heaney's poems to googling our lecturers and supervisor and laughing and laughing over how human they are (my supervisor had a cat called Tolly!) that we didn't realise 5 hours had passed.

4. For the first time ever, my granola has lasted more than two days - now 6 days is my record!

5. Did you know? The first movie-goers ran out of the cinema when they saw an approaching train on the screen. I wonder how we would react to the barrage of CGI if we had not been brought up on a diet of media?

No comments:

Post a Comment