Friday, December 1, 2017

A result of saying sorry and grammar trips


On a Sunday during post-evensong formal, J noticed that it had been exactly four months since we decided to be together. That, along with the fact that I'd won a game between us in which we counted how many times we said sorry in one day (J - 12, 5 of which came from one moment where he dropped a fork, Miriam - 2 ish) with the person who said it more having to come up with a surprise for the other, meant that on Wednesday (22 Nov) after choir practice J took me out to dinner.

The feeling of being taken out on date is a strange one - I think the closest I've had is when I went for a movie/strings concert with a different J, when neither of us really knew whether we liked the person or not. This time, I knew I was going with someone I definitely like (and when I write 'like' I mean 'love') and I knew that he'd asked me because he likes me and wants to make me happy (and full of good food ha).

We went to Stem and Glory, had absolutely gorgeous food, laughed over the fantastic descriptions on the wine list, talked about so many things but for some reason one of the things that I remember most vividly is a conversation about a horse named bramble, which we decided would be more pony sized than horse sized, would have imperfect white socks of different heights and a rough sort of mane and would have a dark coat. For dessert he got a sticky toffee pudding - the one thing he's missed since going vegan - and the look of utter satisfaction and almost painful pleasure on his face was quite something to behold.

Afterwards back in my room I was rubbing his shoulders and talking about something inconsequential when he half turned with a laugh in his voice and said 'I don't mean to interrupt but you did just say 'my sister and I' about three times when it should have been 'my sister and me'.' which made me laugh as well and give up on the massage for a while.

If I had to describe our evening for a wine bottle it would be 'a straight-forward evening balanced with notes of laughter, surprise, pleasure with a warm finish'

(Perhaps you can tell I don't drink wine very often, and have no skill in the poetry that is wine descriptions, but that's the closest I can get)

No comments:

Post a Comment